The Healthcare Improvement Patient Safety Organization of Alabama, Inc. (HIPSO)
was conceived and developed with the express intention of offering its member healthcare
providers patient safety activities intended to reduce medical errors. HIPSO provides
the members with federal legal protection for work involving safety and quality
initiatives as stated in the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005
HIPSO utilizes a web-based reporting system that will capture patient safety data
in a standardized format that is compatible with the AHRQ common formats and the
NQF “Never Events”.
Information that is collected by HIPSO will be analyzed by a professional staff
that maintains expertise in the field of patient safety and quality improvement
within the healthcare environment. This professional staff will work in concert
with healthcare providers toward developing recommendations that will lead to the
reduction or elimination of patient safety issues. The staff of HIPSO is comprised
of Registered Nurses, Loss Control professionals, Information Technologists, Legal
Professionals and a support staff.
The Healthcare Improvement Patient Safety organization will serve its clients through:
• The collection, collation and analysis of patient safety work
• Encouraging a culture of safety by providing feedback and assistance
to its members,
• Establishing procedures to preserve the confidentiality of data submitted
• Education healthcare providers,
• Promoting collaborative efforts among members,
• The identification and promulgation of best practices within the
healthcare arena, and
• Identifying, promoting and encouraging sustainable efforts that pertains
to patient safety.
If you are interested in joining a Patient Safety Organization, HIPSO has a place
for your organization. Please
today for more information.